The French Press: How to Brew the Perfect Cup

March 16, 2015

Found this video by La Colombe owner and coffee connoisseur Todd Carmichael on how to brew the perfect cup of coffee using the French press. It's the fastest and easiest way to have fresh brewed coffee ANYWHERE.

Now, I've seen a lot of videos on brewing through the French press. They are all different. I say, try them all and see which one produces the best-tasting brew for you. I chose this video as it was very exact and explained all the steps in details. I can make this as a base and then go from here.


Todd Carmichael mentioned the "golden ratio" for coffee brewing here, which is 1g of whole coffee beans to 17g of water. I also read somewhere that it's 2g of coffee to 28g of water (or 1:14). This will probably depend on how strong you want your brew to taste.

Also, since I don't have a kitchen scale at home, I will use the coffee scoop I got with my espresso machine. Through some challenging research, I found out that the 1/8 cup scoop holds about 5g of whole coffee beans. So, if I follow the 1:17 golden ratio of Mr. Carmichael here I would need 4 scoops to fill my 350ml French press.

You Might Also Like

0 comments