Chez Karine's Muscovado Latte

November 25, 2014

On a movie date with my sissy one Saturday, and while waiting for her to arrive, I decided to try a new coffee and dessert place. I ended up at Chez Karine Bakery on the ground level of SM Megamall's Fashion Hall. Where else can you find a new place to eat--or drink--but here. I want to try Chelsea Kitchen next, right by the entrance on the EDSA side. Though, I'm not sure they have coffee there. But I digress...


Chez Karine with inside and outside seating

The shiny, clean counters and espresso machine

It's Christmas at Chez; decals on the window

So, since it's the first time I'm trying Chez, I wanted to try something they're selling that's different from other shops. I was curious about their Caramel Fleur de Sel or salted caramel, which is a cold drink but is not coffee-based. Hmm, I wanted coffee, so I asked the staff what their bestseller is. They said it's the Muscovado Latte, which is "latte slightly sweetened and topped with muscovado foam". Here's what it looked like:


It smelled like milky coffee, not the strong coffee smell you'd expect from something so dark looking. I broke the top foam with a teaspoon and it still smelled milky. The top foam was yummy. The muscovado sugar garnish was not too sweet. Then I finally tasted the coffee. 

It was like an ordinary cafe latte I can even do at home. I'm not sure if I should've drank it with the foam, but I expected a different sweet kick from the muscovado. Well, the description said "muscovado foam" and not coffee. I probably expected too much. I just wish I cam taste it in the coffee itself. Even like a slightly burnt taste of muscovado sugar like you would melt it to put on top of a leche flan.

I didn't order anything with it because I wanted to eat something with my sister. Next time I visit I will try the salted caramel drink and a dessert. Their list of it looks promising.

Coffee, tea, and non-coffee drinks

Lots of options for your sweet tooth


You Might Also Like

0 comments